Thursday, December 21, 2006

Using Myers-Brigg to Teach Writing: Part 1

I just read "Personality and Individual Writing Processes" by George H. Jensen and John K. DiTiberio. I really should have read it before making my final blog post for English 620, as it relates importantly to my own teaching philosophy.

I'm splitting this post into two parts because I have entirely too much to say. Part 1 is just going to be me analyzing myself and part 2 is going to be me applying type theory to teaching writing. At least, that's the current plan. I have a tendency to become dissatisfied with my initial choices in organization.

All right, first, I don't like thinking of the four dimensions (Introversion/Extraversion, Intuition/Sensing, Thinking/Feeling, Judging/Perceiving) as functining independently. Jensen and DiTiberio, though they point out the problem in doing so (296), do so throughout the entire paper. I also disagree with the way they present "interaction"--as a simple hierarchy--but I understand the limitations of the scope of their paper.

I do not believe that Introversion/Extraversion and Judging/Perceiving are "functions"--I don't believe that they are ways of approaching the world or the self. Rather, I believe that they are ways of using the actual functions, Thinking/Feeling and Intuition/Sensing. Hence, I think it's problematic to speak of a "judging" way of writing.

I usually identify as an INTJ, but that's more than simply being introverted/intuitive/thinking/judging. Instead, let's divide it into the functions and how they are used (in order):
Introverted intuition
Extraverted thinking
Introverted sensing
Extraverted feeling

Major disclaimer: That's not the "proper" INTJ personality profile, it's my personality profile.

You see, it doesn't simply matter what order the functions come in. It's not that I go around prefering to using introverted intuition. I actually hate to use that function--in extraverted contexts. The direction of the functions is crucial.

For example, my husband is an INTP (again with a slightly rearranged profile). So we have the same preferences but in different directions:
Introverted thinking
Extraverted intuition
Introverted feeling
Extraverted sensing

As an extraverted thinker, I have to talk out every decision. I have to reason out loud why one brand of salsa is preferable to another, which annoys my husband, an introverted thinker. On the other hand, he is much better at theorizing in extraverted contexts, having extraverted intuition, where in an extraverted situation I stick closely to analysis, as an extraverted thinker.

I think the theory has a lot more predictive value when you think contextually. Preferences have a lot to do with the situation. Everyone is able to use each function (T/F/N/S) (though their fourth function usually causes or results from anxiety). But we often almost lack the ability to use a function in the opposite direction from our preference.


Work Cited

Jensen, George H., and John K. DiTiberio. "Personality and Individual Writing Processes." College Composition and Communication 35.3 (1984): 285-300.

No comments: